
As promised, the list of things I will miss a lot when I leave for Boise. My friends and family are a given, of course, so here are a few others...
1. Comiskey Park
Yeah, yeah, I know it's technically U.S. Cellular Field, but to me, it will always, always be Comiskey Park, home of my beloved Chicago White Sox. Whenever I see it, I feel like I'm home. My favorite smell on earth? Opening Day... grilled onions, hot dogs and hope. Which leads me to my second favorite smell...
2. Blommer's Chocolate Factory
Ohhhhh, how I will miss it when the summer air is just right, picking up the heavenly brownie-baking smell of Blommer's Chocolate Factory.
3. The Map Room
I live down the block -- in quick stumbling distance -- from this joint, and it has always been one of my faves. Arguably the best beer selection in the city, open air windows, and now Wireless Internet so I can work there, too! And they even open as a coffee shop in the mornings... and if I do say so myself, they kick the crap out of the Starbucks across the street. I will miss Pete, the bartender/barista who loves my dog, makes a fantastic cafĂȘ au lait, pours a great Allagash White, and is reeeeeeeeeeally easy on the eyes. :)
4. Lake Michigan
No, I won't miss the beach closings for e-Coli, or that icky fishy smell when all of the dead stuff washes ashore in the early spring. But what I will miss is the way the color of the lake changes -- almost like it's wearing a mood ring. Sometimes, when it's really quiet, it's deep blue, sometimes it's a sassy blue-green, ready for everyone to come and play. But on its worst days, when it's churning and angry, throwing itself onto Lake Shore Drive, it is the absolute scariest shade of gray.
5. DA Accent
I trained myself, at an early age, NOT to have this accent. I have it a little bit, but for the most part, I was able to ditch it. You know the one I'm talking about. "Go over by dare," translated is, Go over there. "Frontchroom," means, Front Room, which the rest of the world calls The Living Room. Chi-caaaaa-go. I could go on, but believe me, when my Dad and his brothers get together, it makes "Da Bears" skit from SNL come to life in a way that would make George Wendt proud.
6. The skyline
On a clear day, there is just something amazing about being 40 miles away from the city seeing the skyline. And when you drive closer and closer, and the buildings start to surround you, it feels like the city is wrapping its arms around you, welcoming you home.
7. Mayor Daley
Regardless of whether you're a fan or not, you can't deny this guy's presence in the city. To me, he's the face of a Chicago that I hold dear because of his temperament, speech patterns and love of the Chicago White Sox.
8. Michigan Avenue at Christmastime
Now, I absolutely detest the crowds. GO SHOP AT YOUR OWN GAP, PEOPLE!! But when the city lights the trees for the first time, ohhhh, it is a spectacular sight to behold. I really do think that if you close your eyes, you can actually hear the magical sound of the lights twinkling.
9. Pizza
No one, no one -- are you hearing me, New York?!? -- NO ONE does pizza like Chicago. Thin crust, thick crust, pick your favorite place to order from... Chicago pizza is thefrigginbest. I hope my sisters remember to send it to me every once in a while.
10. The Happy Bus Driver and The Party Cab
So, there you are, just commuting to work on the 151, and suddenly, you realize the Happy Bus Driver is the one picking you up!!! This totally makes your day. Seriously, he says, "hello" to everyone, he asks how you're doin', asks if you want to skip work and just ride the bus, he's AWESOME. And he totally makes you smile. I love when he throws people off guard because he's so happy. It's so fun. And the Party Cab? So much fun. That guy rocks! He gives roses to all the women who ride the cabs, and HE LETS YOU PICK THE MUSIC so you can have YOUR OWN PARTY while you're riding the cab. He's got the Cab decorated with Christmas lights and all sorts of crazy decorations. HE ROCKS!
No comments:
Post a Comment