Saturday, September 6, 2008

I lost my favorite necklace




... and the hits just keep on comin'!!

I purposely packed, very securely, my favorite necklace so that I would know exactly where it was when I arrived to Boise. I did so, not because this necklace is expensive, but because it has deep sentimental value to me.

So when I went out to dinner with friends on Thursday night, I was so happy to wear it.

But now I can't find it.

I've turned my place upside down. I've scoured the bathroom, the closet, the suitcase... literally, I have searched EVERY POSSIBLE PLACE for this necklace, and I cannot find it. I don't remember taking it off when I arrived home from dinner on Thursday. So I think it is officially lost.

I'm so, so, so sad about this. Again, the necklace means the world to me. It was a gift from someone very dear to me. I have already cried over it twice. and I keep searching for it, even though, in my heart of hearts, I know that it is probably gone.

Here's the other thing. I'm ridiculously superstitious. So now, I can't help but worry that this is a sign. I have been trying hard to push that thought out of my mind all weekend. But in doing so, I'm reminded of TV shows and movies that show the loss of a special piece of jewelry that ended up being a not-so-good sign. Remember the Sex and the City episode when Carrie first moved to France and lost her "Carrie" necklace? And what about when Mrs. Lovell lost her wedding ring in the shower before the Apollo 13 mission?

I have to get past this. I cannot let this be a sign of things to come. All I did was lose a necklace. The meaning isn't gone. Just the piece itself. But maybe it will turn up. Maybe, by dumb luck, I lost it in my car, or it fell off of me somewhere in the house where I just haven't checked yet. I will hold out hope that I will find it. I just have to keep the faith.

1 comment:

John Tomkiw said...

Did you check above the medicine cabinet? I got a hunch...

Your pal,

John Tomkiw